The Path to a Successful Paragon Update

Recently, our team at York General Hospital was faced with the daunting task of testing and implementing Paragon 14.1.3. I must admit that at times we were a bit apprehensive about successfully going live with this update! We discovered a number of issues during our testing and went back and forth with Allscripts to get these issues resolved.

We are happy to report that, in the end, our 14.1.3 Go-Live eventually went very smoothly. We do want to credit StreamTask for helping us discover some critical issues that ultimately led to postponing the original date.  

Because StreamTask is so helpful in efficiently organizing the Release Notes, we are able to spend much less time on clerical efforts (as well as inefficient communication/meetings) and spend far more time researching, testing and preparing.  We value having the Release Notes automatically distributed to the right departments so each sub-team can get an immediate sense for how much work they have ahead of them.  Then, in a matter of seconds, they can use powerful searching capabilities to prioritize the Enhancements over the Fixes, and use key word searches to make sure the right people in each department have access to the Work Items most likely to affect their use of the new version.  Culling out these release highlights and emphasizing what will be new is important to everyone, but particularly to the providers, especially since we do all their testing for them.  With these tools in place, superusers (department heads) are now much more eager to accept accountability for both testing and for their role in preparing for the live environment.

The setup for each release is straightforward with the Assist Doc helping us make sure we have everything properly converted.  Once the Work Items are in the data base, we can begin our evaluation.  The links to the PDF, allowing us to see any graphics, has been a huge help.  Throughout the evaluation and testing process, we use real-time reports as reminders to those departments who may be in danger of missing the target date.  Tracking issues in StreamTask also alerts us to what we might encounter during our regression testing phase.

As mentioned, spending more time studying Work Items and then testing them at both the unit and process level, helped us identify issues that we may not have otherwise discovered.  Sharing our  detailed documentation with Allscipts helped them resolve the issues, and in each and every case provide a timely fix.

When it came time to finally go LIVE, we made that decision with confidence.  If there are ever any post-live issues, we can easily determine if there was a Work Item for the issue, and if so, had it been properly tested.  All of our test results are organized by release and available on demand, including the various Supplementals we may have applied.  

As is the case with practically every project, having the right tools leads to a successful ending, and StreamTask was that tool for us!

 

Go back